Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Third Culture

metamonk> (link) One of my favorite journalists, on a pet subject, and I can't read it yet 'cause I have only a brief window before the dog returns. Gotta clean out the bookshelves, get rid of old stuff, find winter clothes, and I'm out of coffee.
Niteowl> well, shit.
Niteowl> You've got a serious New Yawker moral quandry right there.
Niteowl> Next thing you know, NPR will be off the air and the mailman will forget your copy of the "Paris Review."
Katya> better eat bagels!
metamonk> Everybody I know is a new yorker these days. It's a problem; we're all prats.
Niteowl> but I'M not a new yorker!
metamonk> I didn't even mention that I'm trying to get to the Calder exhibit at the Whitney, and see Slumdog Millionaire, and my hypochondria is flaring up again and I'm smoking.
Niteowl> man, i hope you never, ever leave NY
Niteowl> you'd die instantly.
metamonk> Oh, and I'm jetlagged, because being crammed into the middle seat at the back of a flying petri dish to go be alienated from ANOTHER country is somehow exotic.
Niteowl> always fun to go to the Old Country, and find that you don't belong there either
metamonk> twelve years ago I was in law school in Colorado, leading backpacking trips on vacations, 175lbs, dark brown hair, no hangovers, and my house was a perpetual "just stop by" party...
metamonk> now the online radio gets turned off every ten minutes because the ADS HURT MY EARS and lawn
Niteowl> well, you type like a 13-year old, if that helps at all.
metamonk> roflcopter

No comments:

Post a Comment